Sometimes you've actually worked to the extent you were so tired and forgot your Briefcase containing your Mac On a Cab or at a Shop and would want to make it difficult for anyone who's found it or stole it gain access to some data you might have inside?
You'd love to know how best you can track the stolen MAC?
Then sit Back and enjoy this Post.
Find My Mac is an application developed by Apple Inc, designed to help users track and get the location of their lost device before it gets to the wrong hands.
With "Find My Mac" you can locate and protect your Mac if it is lost or stolen. To use Find My Mac, simply enable it in System Preferences. You need to have set up Find My Mac before your Mac is lost. If you believe your Mac has been stolen, contact your local law enforcement.
Find my Mac helps you find your stolen/lost Computer if you enabled it before the actual time you lost the computer and the most interesting part is that you'll even see the location of the computer on a Map- this means easy to pick it up right? Another aspect is the Remote Lock or erase Option which enables you Lock or wipe your device Wherever you are.
Using Find My Mac would require a user to log on to iCloud.com/find and any Computer Near you or download the mobile version of the app which would run on any iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
Here are a few things you Can absolutely Do with the Find My Mac App.
1. Locate your Mac On a Map- With this option enabled, you can see the actual position of your lost Mac On a Map. This would make the search easy since you'd also know if the thieve is Moving and also his track.
2. Lock Your Mac- With this option, remotely lock your Mac with a passcode. You can also display a custom message on its screen. If you lock your Mac, you won’t be able to track it.
3. Play a Sound- If your Mac is nearby, you can have it play a sound to help you or someone nearby find it.
4. Erase your Mac- You can use Find My Mac to remotely erase and delete all your personal information from your Mac. If you erase your Mac, you won’t be able to track it.
If the Device Was Turned Off?
If your Mac is turned off or offline, you can use Find My Mac to request a notification when it’s located, or lock or erase your Mac remotely. The next time your Mac is online, the actions take effect. If you remove your Mac from Find My Mac when it's offline, your requests are cancelled.
But I Cannot Find My Mac- What Is the Best Alternative?
Find My Mac is the only Apple service that can help track or locate a lost Mac. If you didn’t set up Find My Mac before your Mac was lost, or you can’t locate it, these steps might help you protect your data:
- Change your Apple ID password to prevent anyone from accessing your iCloud data or using other services (such as iMessage or iTunes) from your Mac.
- Change your passwords for other accounts you use with your Mac, including email, banking, and social sites like Facebook or Twitter.
- Report your lost or stolen Mac to local law enforcement. They might request the serial number of your computer. You can find this information on the original box or receipt you received when you purchased your Mac.